Sunday, January 25, 2009

Red and White and Blue All Over

You know what goes in the blank in the title, don't you!! :-)

A couple of years back, Carol Doak's Quilting Yahoo Group started making red-white-blue (RWB) blocks for Quilts of Valor (QOV). We sent our blocks to one of the group members, and she was to assemble them then send them off to a quilter. We've never heard back from her. I was disappointed that I had make my QOV blocks for nothing.

No one in the Reno/Sparks area seemed interested in making Quilts of Valor. I didn't have the skill to do much more than make blocks at that time in my still short quilting career.

I finally found quilter at the USENET newsgroup rec.crafts.textiles.quilting (RCTQ) whose guild in Virginia was making Quilts of Valor that year. So I started making blocks again. (RCTQ can also be accessed at Google Groups.) She finally didn't need any more blocks from me.

I started making red-white-blue blocks to make a quilt for myself. I decided to practice making blocks with half-square triangles (HST). Electric Quilt was my RWB HST buddy! All the blocks are 12". Try measuring a 7x7 patch into a 12" square! I paper-pieced the ones that didn't divide evenly. All my blocks are pictured above with larger single photos in my Webshots album.

The blocks are finished!! It's time to put some white sashing in and choose a layout. I think this might be it --


The blocks might not truly go in the order shown here, but I do like the border of little RWB squares repeating the fabrics in the 12" blocks.

I'm looking forward to using my quilt on Flag Day or 4th of July!

1 comment:

Sue said...

I love your work, Kay! Those paper pieced flowers on black are great- I can't wait to see the finished quilt!