Monday, January 19, 2009

It's A NEW Day!!

"It's a New Day" is still the slogan for Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims and their The Quilt Show website. And now it has an additional meaning in quilting -- check out Debra Gabel’s 2009 Obama Quilt. And then there is the quilt at The Alliance for American Quilts.

I'll probably never make an art quilt or a landscape quilt. I'm a math person who loves geometry. I'm happy cutting and sewing squares, triangles, rectangles, half-square triangles, and half-rectangle triangles. I haven't cut or sewn circles yet!

Even though I'd never make one of these quilts, I do admire the workmanship and color sense that goes into art quilts. I think these presidential quilts are absolutely amazing!

Maybe there have been other presidential quilts in other years. I only started quilting about 4½ years ago, so I would have missed the earlier quilts of presidents. So maybe I'll search! I wonder what kinds of commemorative items quilters made even back in the day of George Washington?

[The black and white drawing of the White House came from Enchanted Learning.com.]

No comments: