Sunday, December 9, 2012

Quilter’s Guild of Indianapolis
Fall Retreat 2012

I went on my first quilt retreat in August 2012 at Clifty Falls State Park in Madison, Indiana.

I had never been on a quilt retreat, but I had been to Clifty Falls in my childhood on end-of-the-year school trips for students who had served in the Garfield School City service positions. I had served in the Welfare Department (selling cookies and ice cream sandwiches at morning recess) and in the Health Department (table monitor in the school cafeteria during lunch). I was eager to see Clifty Falls again! Could park visitors still walk behind the falls?

Our accommodations were wonderful! 50 of us stayed at the Clifty Inn and utilized one of the big conferences rooms as our sewing room. The buffet meals were diet sabotage. (But calories eaten at a retreat don’t count!) Every room had a view of the Ohio River. I finished two Carol Doak paper-piece blocks and learned how to make pillowcases with the tube technique. Didn’t get a lot done but sure enjoyed getting to know a lot of other guild members. Didn’t take advantage of the park’s amenities because . . . .

. . . .We’re going back in November 2013. I’m ready! (And I have my tote to carry my mat.)

I now have a coffee mug, a T-shirt, and friendships to remember this recent visit to Clifty Falls State Park.

No comments: