Sunday, May 17, 2009

Starry Night

Vincent Van Gogh was an artist who created the painting Starry Night. Don Mclean recorded Vincent (also known as Starry, Starry Night) to describe Van Gogh's tragic life.

This past week, an actual artist came to my 5th Grade class to teach art. They used pastels to recreate Van Gogh's Starry Night on black construction paper.

The artist's visit reminded me of a quilter named Jessamy Thompson. Jessamy lived in The Netherlands in Van Gogh's town. Every year the town celebrated Van Gogh's life. Every year Jessamy sponsored a centralized swap of quilt blocks commemorating Van Gogh's Starry Night. In 2007, I took the opportunity to participate, probably the last time Jessamy sponsored the swap. I received star blocks with labels from Finland, England, United Kingdom, Germany, and the USA. This photo shows only part of the collection I received. I guess it's time to think about assembling those blocks into a quilt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cool qulit miss.ahr it reminds me of night and day.