Monday, May 25, 2009

BATIK


I have been introduced to the wonderful world of batik fabrics for quilting. This block is my contribution to the block of the month at Ben Franklin Crafts in Sparks, Nevada. The focus fabric is the multi-colored batik in the corners. The center star is also a batik.

Years ago, back in the 1970's, I purchased a piece of art that was batik. It showed a young lady in red with long blonde hair playing a mandolin. The waxy feel was still apparent on the wall hanging. I loved the effect.

I used to frequent craft shows. I've purchased several T-shirts from Grebe Batiks. A moose, front and back. A rose. An evil cat. A cosmic star. A fire-breathing dragon. All fun T-shirts that wash well and last a long time.

Recently, the quilting guild I belong to began making blocks for its 2010 opportunity quilt. Because the opportunity quilt coordinator thinks I'm good at paper-piecing, I was asked the make several blocks. My first experience sewing batiks! All the blocks have black batik background and batik flowers.

What is batik? A history of the process can be found at Bali Fabrics.

What is batik to me? A beautiful new medium for touching and viewing and quilting.

No comments: