Monday, April 27, 2009

Inspired by Young Students


I find inspiration in the strangest places. These two inspiring pieces of artwork are from the elementary school where I teach.

The top drawing was done by a 5th Grade student "playing" with the Geometry template. The paper had fluttered to the floor. I almost just stepped over it but decided to pick it up for a closer look. I loved what I saw! When I asked whose paper it was, I got no response. Students probably thought they would get into trouble. I finally begged the person to identify himself or herself -- I told the class I wanted to be able to take the drawing home to put it into Electric Quilt. It will take a few more lines so it can be paper-pieced. I'd like to make one huge block and applique it to the back of a shirt.

The second piece of art might be a flag. It is construction paper cut and glued to a 9" x 12" piece of lighter colored construction paper. I found it attached to the southern hemisphere of a HUGE world map on the wall of the school's common area. I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know what country it might represent. Maybe I can ask around to find out whose class the "flag" came from.

And what more might I find . . . I'll have to cruise the hallways to see what else I can find. I promise I'll carry a Hall Pass!

No comments: