Sunday, March 1, 2009

Paper-Piecing




I love paper-piecing!!

Went to a guild meeting one evening a few years back. We had been told to bring our machines to learn this technique that Carol Doak had taught the guild members years ago. The "new" technique for making blocks was paper-piecing. I was hooked!!



By that time, I had joined the newsgroup RCTQ (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting). Carol Doak posted in that newsgroup back then. Nowadays she has her own Carol Doak Quilting Yahoo Group where she gives advice and free patterns. The photo here shows my versions of the 2007-2008 BOM. I've put each block into Electric Quilt's EQ6, and I have been playing with layouts to include all the blocks in a quilt.

So what happens to those patterns once I have made a quilt? I enlarged one of the patterns, added interlocking borders, and made a small lap quilt. Now I'd like to use one of the patterns for the local Ben Franklin March Block of the Month.

Carol Doak's patterns are so beautiful, I'd like to find lots of ways to use them!

No comments: