Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Great States Quilt Math

Just check out Iowa! This block is 12 inches, and I paper-pieced it. All those little triangles!

I own a copy of the teacher resource book Great States Quilt Math by Cindi Mitchell from Scholastic. The book contains reproducibles for practicing arithmetic skills. Plus, the students get to color real quilt blocks. My 5th Graders love doing these pages for homework.

Where did the blocks come from?

Some are similar to the clipart blocks by Dawn Stewart at Dawn's Quilting Clip Art State Blocks.

Others I found in Electric Quilt's BlockBase Collection by Barbara Brackman utilizing some of the Hearth and Home Magazine Collection of state blocks.

Bella Online also has Quilt Blocks of the States Series by Judie Bellingham and guest author Kim Noblin.

I have ordered editor Barbara F. Bannister's book State Capitals Quilt Blocks: 50 Patchwork Patterns from "Hearth and Home" Magazine.

I'm still curious -- where did Mitchell, Stewart, Brackman, Bellingham, Noblin, and Bannister get the blocks?

No comments: