Friday, November 28, 2008

Lone Star Quilt Blocks

Well, it all started off very innocently. I was early to a meeting in the school library, so I headed for the electronic card catalogue and typed in “quilt.” I’ve been on break for three weeks, so my brain wasn’t totally in gear: I decided I’d just take a look at the easy picture books. I found this beautiful Eagle Star Quilt in the book Shota and the Star Quilt. [Authors: Christine Fowler, Margaret Bateson-Hill, Gloria Runs Close to Lodge, Philomine Lakota; Copyright: Zero to Ten Ltd 1998]

Got home, scoured my quilt book shelf, and found Easy & Elegant Lone Star Quilts by Shirley Stutz. Her stars seem to be mostly the stack-n-whack style. Beautiful! I also have the book and DVD Lone Star Quilts & Beyond by Jan Krentz. These quilts have all those rhombi (rhombuses?) and even some spikey corners. Also beautiful! An online friend recommended Eleanor Burns’ Radiant Star directions. Her booklet and DVD are available, so I’ll have to go online shopping today.

LeMoyne Star, Lone Star, Sawtooth Star – they all seem to have the same outline shape. But the innards are magnificently different.

And then comes my love of Feathered Stars. I have one in the works. I was in the quilt shop The Uncommon Thread in Fallon, Nevada last winter. Saw a beautiful feathered star sample hanging on the wall. I asked the owner if I could buy the pattern. She said she didn’t have one, but she did say it was OK for me to take a photo and try to copy it into Electric Quilt. My version will end up about 22” square. I’ve got two of the inset seams done, and I’m not brave enough yet to do the last two! And I managed to find real fabrics similar to the ones I found in EQ6.

Do I have a Lakota Star Quilt started? Only in my dreams!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kay,

Have a blast with the Lone Star designs!! Wait till you see my newest book, coming out in February 2009 - more stars - simple construction (gigantic star blocks)!

Happy Thanksgiving - Jan Krentz